Industries of the Blind, Inc.
Job Title: Sewing Machine Operator
Department: W. Gate City Blvd.
Date of Announcement: 1/25/2017
Summary of Position: Supports sewing operations by performing a single operation or on an assigned piece of equipment or sewing machine, in order to produce components or products in accordance with product and quality specifications.
Experienced Sewing Machine Operators with 3-5 years’ experience in commercial sewing.
- Physical ability to stand for entire shift and perform assigned production tasks.
- Must know how to use standard tools such as snips, scissors, tweezers, needle threaders, etc.
- Must be able to thread machines, change bobbins and needles, start machine, align materials, control pedal, and sew straight lines.
- Must be able to understand quality standards for assigned tasks and verify that product quality is acceptable. Must know how to distinguish among standard types of stitches and seams and be able to measure stitches and read standard ruler, or otherwise ensure that standards are met.
- Threads sewing machine for operation and sew product in accordance with specifications. Aligns machines to ensure proper stitch count.
- Performs repairs for sewing defects and monitors product to verify that quality standards are being met.
- Monitors equipment to ensure that proper safety equipment is in place before operation. Improves productivity by suggesting better ways to maintain equipment, reduce costs, etc.
- Properly complete any other duties and responsibilities designated by supervision.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Greensboro Industries of the Blind and Royal Park USA employs sighted, blind and visually impaired associates to provide contract sewing, packaging and assembly, in Greensboro, NC. Benefits available for FT associates
*Relocation Package Available for Blind Applicants
*** Voted Top Work Place for three years****